Posted on: November 19, 2021
About Mermet: Mermet was founded in 1951 and joined the Hunter
Douglas family of companies in 2005. Hunter Douglas is the
established worldwide design leader and most sought after name in
custom window fashions and a major manufacturer of architectural
products. Mermet is a manufacturer or sun control textiles
specializing in PVC-coated fiberglass sunscreen fabrics. We take
pride in creating long term relationships with team members and
customers alike. Mermet fabrics deliver extraordinary quality,
style and unrivaled functionality while also providing
technologically advanced solutions to everyday practical needs,
such as managing natural light, heat reflection, sound absorption
and much more. Mermet has always been a home for innovative
thinkers. Our culture is one of innovation that attracts the best
and the brightest. We pride ourselves as a group of passionate and
creative individuals continuously seeking out new and novel ways to
advance our company, our industry and our employees. With numerous
benefits encouraging wellness and growth, Mermet regards its people
as its most valuable resource. About the Role: This role is aimed
to aid in new product development, preparation of coating
formulations, raw material and product testing, and pilot runs in a
manufacturing setting. This employee will be responsible for
analyzing samples which includes viscosity, color, cross sectional
analysis, temperature, density, reflection, and appearance through
numerous instrumentation methods, to include but not limited to
Microscopy, UV-Vis, IR, Color Spectrophotometry, Viscometry,
Particle Size, and Rheology. This role is in our Mermet business,
in Cowpens, South Carolina, reporting directly to the R&D
- Supporting new product developments and laboratory functions
under the supervision of immediate supervisor or manager.
- Preparing coating formulations in lab and pilot scale. Run
pilots in a manufacturing setting.
- Submit activity / test reports with recommendations to the
- Testing coating formulations, films, fibers, and textiles using
various analytical tools
- Raw material testing and assist in testing manufacturing
coating and products. Analyzing retrieved data and prepares reports
for laboratory management.
- Performing calibration, maintenance, upkeep, and cleanliness of
instruments and the lab.
- Safe working practices in facility and all environments. Wear
safety glasses and other non-specified protective equipment, as
- Other duties as assigned.Key Qualifications Include:
- 5+ years of experience working in Quality Control Chemistry
and/or Research & Development lab.
- Ability to create new products and processes that are
beneficial to the Business, through novel ideas and creative
- Must have good understanding of math, chemistry, and the
ability to use various software computer system programs;
Proficient in Microsoft Office and working knowledge of statistical
- Good eye for color and coating formulation experience.
Understanding of Lab Color Space.
- Results Oriented
- Proven ability to work on own initiative, multitask, prioritize
work and willingness to change direction and focus to meet shifting
organizational and business demands.
- Requires excellent written and oral communication skills.
Demonstrated communication abilities at multiple levels of the
- Good functional experience in most of the instrumentation
listed above, with a focus on spectrophotometers, colorimeters,
rheometers, microscopy, etc.Education:
- Bachelor's Degree in Chemistry preferred but not limited to, or
an associate degree with 5+ years of experience working in Quality
Control Chemistry and/or Research and Development lab.Equal
Opportunity Employment Mermet is an equal opportunity employer.Job
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insuranceSchedule:
- 8 hour shiftCOVID-19 considerations:All individuals entering
the building, including visitors, are screened and provided
- Associate (Preferred)Experience:
- Quality Control Chemistry: 5 years (Preferred)
- Research & Development lab: 5 years (Preferred)
- Manufacturing: 1 year (Preferred)
- Plastisol or coating: 1 year (Preferred)Work Location: One
Keywords: Mermet, Gastonia , Associate Chemist, Other , Cowpens, North Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!