Senior Process Engineer
Company: AFL Telecommunications, LLC
Posted on: February 25, 2021
AFL, a leading global fiber optics telecommunications company
has an immediate opening for a Cable Process Engineer in Duncan,
S.C. This individual will be part of a high-performing team
responsible for improving process performance and implementing
advanced manufacturing technologies. He/she will be responsible for
actions and leading projects that improve processes and launch
technologies that enable AFL to satisfy its customers and continue
its strong growth.
We are seeking a full time Senior Process Engineer in Duncan, SC.--
The Senior--Process Engineer will be a member of the cable
technology team and will be dedicated to improving process
performance. He/She will be diligent in applying their engineering
skills and experience, driven by data and facts, and comfortable
leading teams of operators, technicians, and engineers through
projects and problem-solving exercises. He/She will be accountable
for delivering tangible results in support of business plan
objectives by implementing improvements, supporting new product
industrialization, improving capacity utilization, and managing
continuous improvement efforts.-- The position will report to the
Process Engineering Manager and may be assigned to specific
projects and/or responsibility for all aspects of one or more
production processes including the assigned technicians and/or
operators. The position is located at our Duncan, SC manufacturing
facility which operates on a seven-day, twenty-four-hour schedule.
To support operations, off-shift and weekend work will be required
at times to meet project deadlines or support operational
- Lead efforts to improve performance and resolve quality issues
by rigorously applying methodical problem-solving techniques to
contain the problem, identify root causes, and implement
sustainable corrective actions.
- Define, measure, and monitor process performance metrics (OEE,
Defect Rates, Process RFT, Cp, and Cpk) to identify opportunities
- Define critical-to-quality process parameters (speeds,
temperatures, pressures) using a Process FMEA or other analytical
tools. Then implement measurement and control systems to ensure the
process operates as required to meet product and customer
- Provide hands-on engineering support for new product
industrialization and initial production runs ensuring that the
process is capable of safely producing a high-quality product that
meets the specification, productivity, and cost targets. This would
typically include specifying and documenting process parameters and
- Manage daily process quality performance to include the
investigation of issues, the disposition of items with defects, and
the initiation of corrective and preventative actions.
- Interact with customers on technical and quality-related topics
or issues. Lead all efforts to resolve customer complaints
attributed to the process.
- Work with internal and external suppliers of materials,
equipment, and services to execute projects, resolve problems, and
- Select, design, modify and maintain tooling, fixtures, and
equipment as needed to improve safety, quality, throughput, and
- Develop and maintain process training and certification
documentation to ensure that operators clearly understand all
- Improve housekeeping and safety by applying the 5S principles
and participating in audit programs.
- Support business plan objectives to increase productivity,
reduce waste, improve quality, and enhance safety.
- Identify, justify, plan, and lead to continuous improvement,
new product development, and capacity expansion projects.
- Lead, participate, and support cross-functional project teams
as assigned to achieve required objectives on-time and
- Work with the Technology Group to develop future products and
processes including evaluating, selecting, and commissioning of
process equipment. KNOWLEDGE / SKILLS / COMPETENCIES
- Demonstrated ability to solve processing/quality issues as well
as improve process output through productivity improvements
including changeover reductions and line speed optimization.
- Proficient in advanced problem-solving including 6-- / DMAIC
- Practical understanding of workplace 5S and lean manufacturing
- Driven by facts and analysis using advanced quantitative and
qualitative techniques such as FMEA, DOE, MSA, and SPC.
- Strong leader with the ability to build strong business
- Self-starter with integrity and confidence who strives to
achieve even the most challenging objectives with limited
- Team player with well-developed interpersonal skills that is
comfortable working in a fast-paced, dynamic, cross-functional, and
- A results-oriented professional that is comfortable in a
challenging professional environment where complex problem solving
- Strong communicator with the ability to convey complex issues
in simple terms to all levels of the organization.
- Solid understanding of quality management systems including
current ISO 9001 standard.
- Potential to grow into positions of increasing responsibility
based on results and capabilities.
- Intermediate or higher user of MS Office and statistical
analysis software such as Minitab.
- Strong analytical, time management and technical writing
skills.-- REQUIREMENTS & EXPERIENCE
- BS degree or higher in engineering or technology preferably in
chemical, mechanical or industrial engineering.
- 5-8 years of experience as a process, manufacturing, quality,
or project engineer.
- Preferential consideration will be given to those candidates
with recent manufacturing experience in fiber optic cable,
extrusion, and/or tube mill, metal forming and welding
- Experience leading teams and delivering results using 6-- /
DMAIC problem-solving methodology.
- Experience working in a lean/JIT/process-driven manufacturing
- Experience performing technical analysis on cable designs is a
- Able to support off-shift and/or weekend operations.
- Green-belt, CQE or equivalent certification is a plus.
- Able to travel up to 10%. Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected
Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities The contractor will not
discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or
applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or
disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or
applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation
information of other employees or applicants as a part of their
essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees
or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to
compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response
to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an
investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an
investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the
contractor's legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR
Keywords: AFL Telecommunications, LLC, Gastonia , Senior Process Engineer, Engineering , Duncan, North Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!