Media Specialist @ Pleasant Ridge Gifted and Talented Academy
Company: Gaston County Schools
Posted on: September 16, 2023
The Media Specialist/Coordinator is a district professional who
coordinates district-level programs and resources in support of
school library media centers. The Media Specialist/Coordinator
provides leadership in the development, implementation, and
evaluation of the school library media program to promote student
learning and teacher effectiveness for the benefit of the
district's total educational program.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides the leadership and instructional resources and
services for the implementation of a school library media program
that serves as an integral part of a student-centered educational
- Plans and implements for teaching and learning.
- Plans and works collaboratively with teachers.
- Instructs students and staff in the effective use of ideas and
- Incorporates information literacy into day-to-day
- Advocates and promotes reading and lifelong learning.
- Works with the Principal and School Leadership Team to provide
flexible access to the school library media center resources.
- Creates and maintains an environment conducive to
- Encourages the widest possible use of print and electronic
resources and services-within the school media center, throughout
the school, and through remote access.
- Leads teachers, technology staff, and students in a
collaborative process to select and evaluate resources that address
the curricular needs and learning goals of students and teachers in
the information age.
- Keeps accurate inventories of print, non-print, and technology
materials and equipment.
- Works cooperatively with other libraries and agencies to share
resources that enhance teaching and learning.
- Implements an ongoing collection development and evaluation
process, in collaboration with the Media and Technology Advisory
Committee that focuses on a variety of formats and resources to
meet diverse learning needs.
- Adheres to copyright as well as other laws and guidelines
pertaining to the distribution and use of resources.
- Works with school staff to design and implement short and
long-range plans to ensure balance among teaching, instructional
technology, collaboration, collection development, and program
- Evaluates the school library media program on a continual basis
according to accepted standards of quality.
- Organizes school media center facilities and resources in a
manner that supports the mission, goals, and objectives of the
school and maximizes intellectual and physical access to
- Participates in the budgetary process of the school through the
Media and Technology Advisory Committee to ensure equity of access
to instructional materials.
- Works with the Media and Technology Advisory Committee in
effective decision-making to promote the school library media
- Carries out assigned non-instructional duties and adheres to
established laws, policies, rules and regulations.
- Performs other related work as required. Knowledge, Skills, and
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of
concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in
written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Ability to communicate the district's vision, goals, and
priorities, especially regarding school library media programs to
- Ability to coordinate district-level programs and
- Ability to prepare budgets, coordinates with other departments
or agencies to assure maximum services and resources, and maintains
records/reports/inventories in accordance with local/state/federal
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working
relationships with parents, students, staff, administrators, and
- Understands the growth and development of assigned students.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is
regularly required to stand and talk or hear. The employee is
frequently required to walk. The employee is occasionally required
to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or
controls; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and
taste or smell.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25
pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include
close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and
- Must possess the visual acuity to prepare data, work with
records processes and do extensive reading and research. Minimum
Education and Experience
- Minimum of Bachelor's degree in Library Science or minimum of
18 hours completed toward a Master's degree in Library Science a
from regionally accredited college/university.
- North Carolina Certification in Media (00076) or eligible to be
- Knowledge of computer technology.
- Solid understanding of North Carolina Standard Course of Study
for media and all grades for the assigned level.
This Position Reports to: Principal
Salary: North Carolina Instructional Support Salary Schedule
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the
general nature and level of work performed by employees within this
classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as
a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and
qualifications required of employees for this job.
If offered a position, the prospective employee must pass a
required health exam, criminal records check, and drug test.
Keywords: Gaston County Schools, Gastonia , Media Specialist @ Pleasant Ridge Gifted and Talented Academy, Advertising , Gastonia, North Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!